Monday, February 7, 2011

Candied Lemon Slices



I started making these candied lemon slices to top my polenta cakes. I had two nice surprises the first time I made them. The first is that the lovely, lemony syrup that is a by-product of this recipe is perfect for pouring over the warm cake and takes the place of a glaze. The second is that I can make a big batch of these and keep them in the freezer between slices of waxed paper, having them handy for topping my cakes, decorating glasses of red-wine laced lemonade in the summer and, as my little girl and I have discovered, eating them cold out of the freezer -- Emmie and Mommy's homemade lemon candy.



Ingredients
3 lemons
1 cup sugar
+ additional sugar for sanding finished slices
Water

Directions
1. Cut lemons into thin slices, remove seeds.

2. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add lemon slices, stirring gently until slices are softened, about 2 minutes.

3. Bring sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a medium skillet, stirring constantly. When syrup is clear, reduce heat to medium-low and add lemon slices. Lightly simmer without boiling about 1 hour, when rinds begin to be translucent.

4. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with waxed paper or parchment and sprinkle liberally with additional sugar. Cool and serve. To store, place slices in single layers on waxed paper, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze.



1 comment:

  1. Ah, that sounds absolutely delicious, Elisa! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete